Friday, October 28, 2011

Cake disasters a plenty...

Ok, at no time have I ever claimed to be a professional cake decorator.  I'm a Buddy wanna be, and I can make some awesome cakes, but when I screw up, man do I screw up.  

Example, I'm making a wedding cake for Saturday.  It's consists of 4" tall, 16" squared, 12" squared, and a 6" tall 8" squared cake.  It's enough to feed 300-400 people, but only 65 people will be attending the wedding (at best).

The bride's aunt waited until last Tuesday to find a cake decorator and my sister volunteered me and I'm a sucker to help people in a pinch so I agreed (against my better judgement).  

So the first three 8" layers were no problem.  Then last night, I baked up the first of two, 12" cakes, and when I went to flip the cake over on the make shift cooling racks, which my sister and I had famously decided to tie together with bread ties, we forgot to put all four hands on the cake and when I flipped, half the cake hit the table and floor.  

At that point, I reached over and grabbed my glass of ever so red wine, said cheers and chugged.  Then I proceeded to clean up the mess and give the cake to my Daddy.  Samson, my chichi, took care of what was on the floor (and dug himself into insanity all night).

My sister and I just looked at each other and I calmly walked over and started mixing up another batch for the oven.

Now, on any other night (or day), if that would've happened, I would've cussed like a sailor and made sure everyone heard me, but I realized, nope it's just a cake, I can make another one, lesson learned.  I didn't use the make shift cooling racks, I used my cake board, which is what I should've done in the first place, but naw, so I had no one to blame but myself.

With that confessed, I'm more determined than ever to make this cake the prettiest wedding cake ever seen by man, we'll that's the motivation, the reality is, it's a cake and something else is bound to go wrong, cross your fingers, toes, say a prayer, meditate for me, what ever your poison is, I just need the 2 16" layers to come out of the oven without a hitch and for them to icing up perfectly, and for the cake to not fall apart before the cake is cut.

I should be very nervous and worried, it's someone's wedding cake after all, but nope, I'm viewing it as just another cake, and hopefully that will keep me from panicing and doing the 'holy crap, i'm doing a wedding cake, what if I....", which I do with other people's cakes.

I'll post a picture when it is set-up tomorrow afternoon, and would be happy to have lots of praise from all of my followers, just to make me feel good about it, 'cause Lord knows I've worked my butt off already and am making absolutely no money off of this deal, just doing a good deed.

And with that said, my sister reminded me last night, as I was discussing the above, a closed hand can not receive anything, but an open hand receives abundantly, so I guess you could say my hand and heart were definitely opened when I heard the story and took on this cake.

May God bless the bride and groom, and may they have a wonderful life together.

In Christ,
Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment