Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Ok, so this has nothing to do with my 1/2 marathon training, but...

it is a funny story!

So most of you know I have a pack of dogs, well I have 2 chichi's (Samson and Maebelle) and my parents have 3 mixed breeds (Teddy and Bubbles, 1/2 jack russell, 1/2 fiest, and Molly, a chiweenie).

Well, Samson is allergic to everything under the sun, including himself, so he's a steroid junky, and on the chunky side to be a chihuahua. (We won't talk about that!) Now, Samson has two types of food that he likes and everything else be dam*ed! He LOVES table food and Beneful (incredi-bites, the tiny version of the regular Beneful), oh and he will eat little Cezar in a can (at 70cents per can, I can't afford that for him and Bella, so he doesn't get it.)

Well, he's still chewing his feet and licking his knees/elbows, whatever you call it, his legs?! I go see our vet, Dr. Chip, yesterday after work and tell him the steroid treatment isn't working and we have to do something different 'cause Sam is blowing up and hassling like he's going to have a heart attack.

Dr. Chip tells me, it's his food, you have to change his food. Inside I'm thinking yea right, he'll starve to death before he eats that canned food you want him on. He's 10 years old and he ain't changing for no body or nothing! Period!

I listen as he explains this and that and we decide Sam is probably allergic to either the beef, chicken, or even the lamb they make the dog food with, but he assures me the venison should do the trick. Ok for you country folks, venison is deer meat. I'm thinking, heck if I can buy my dog deer meat why can't it be legal to buy me deer meat?! Anyway, back to the topic, Samson.

Dr. Chip gives me a can on the house, and tells me to try it, so I get home and show Sam the can and I can see the look of doubt in his eyes. I talk it up and tell him how good it is and then I set it in a chair beside my purse, and I eat dinner. The entire time he's looking, and I can see the wheels a-turning. The entire time I'm praying, Dear God plz let this work.

I open the can and dang it smells good, and all 5 dogs find me in a flash. Where they all came from I'll never know, their noses smelled it son!

I take a spoonful out and give it to Sam, he scarves it down, without even tasting it. Ok, so I put some in a saucer, and warm it up just a tad, and he eats it like he's on death row and it was his last meal. BINGO! I found something he liked. So I pass a spoonful around to all the other dogs - dang, they love it, too.

I'm just glad I didn't bet my paycheck that Samson wouldn't eat it; otherwise, Dr. Chip would be getting my paycheck come tomorrow.

So I called the vet this morning, and told Rebecca, the receptionist, HE LOVED IT!

Therefore, afterwork, I'm off to the vet again to get some deer meat in a can and some dry food, too. I'm sure this is going to set me back a few bucks, I may need to get a second job to feed my Samson.

If he's lucky, he has 4, maybe 6 more years with me, so I'll do what I have to do to make him comfortable, so he doesn't itch all the time.

I'm crossing my finger and praying this is the missing link.

I'll let you know how it goes....

No comments:

Post a Comment